Salary listed is a placeholder. Compensation depends on your skills, experience and cost of living.
We help pets and their humans to lead safer, healthier lives together.
Founded in 2013 and backed by Techstars and T-Mobile, FitBark is a data-driven pet tech company on a mission to get pets and their owners healthy and safe together. We design pet wearables that help humans in 140+ countries to get actionable insights into their pet’s location, activity, quality of sleep, calorie expenditure, mobility, skin conditions, anxious behaviors and overall health.
Our products include Bluetooth-enabled pet health monitors, as well as Wi-Fi and cellular-enabled GPS trackers. We develop all our wearables in house, including PCB design, firmware, data analytics, iOS, Android, web and smartwatch apps. Our platform has been adopted by 100+ vet schools and research institutions to validate new drugs, foods, procedures and medical treatments.
We are headquartered in Kansas City, MO in the heart of the KC Animal Health Corridor. We are a remote-friendly team with employees in the United States, Europe and Asia. We stand for a smarter breed of pet owners. We insist on beautiful design, insightful data, remarkable technology. If you believe you would thrive in a nimble, asynchronous, bureaucracy-free organization that is leading the charge in transforming animal and human health, we’d love to hear from you.
Your role at FitBark
Our engineering team is looking for a pet friendly, experienced, self-motivated senior engineer to help us architect and code to an efficient server backend for our next-generation pet health and GPS trackers. You will work with our team on new architecture that supports fun and insightful mobile and web apps with an emphasis on usability and performance.
This is a 100% remote position that requires at least 4 hours of overlap with our Kansas City team, based in US Central Time (CST/CDT). International candidates are welcome to apply.
How you'll improve the lives of pets and humans
• Architect, develop and deploy our data processing and analytics platform, which serves key data to our mobile, smartwatch and web apps, as well as universities, research partners, pharmaceutical companies, pet insurance companies and other commercial partners
• Collaborate with our engineering team to extend new functionality to our apps
Identify performance bottlenecks, defining and implementing solutions to address them
• Drive continuous improvement in overall system architecture including quality, performance and effectiveness of the backend infrastructure
• Create and maintain technical documentation of private and public API
• Report directly to our CTO
• (A) 3+ years recent experience with Ruby on Rails (Preferred)
• (B) 3+ years recent experience with Node.js, and working knowledge of Ruby on Rails
• (C) 3+ years recent experience with Python, and working knowledge of Ruby on Rails
Essential skills of a strong candidate
3+ years recent experience in:
• API design and implementation
• MySQL or PostgreSQL scripting
• AWS (EC2, RDS, VPC, SQS, and ELB)
• Design, coding and debugging
• 3+ years experience building and deploying robust, scalable backends
• Working knowledge of DBMS including MySQL, Oracle or SQL Server
• Previous work analyzing large amounts of data (intelligence, statistics, data mining)
• Working knowledge of machine learning techniques
• BA, BS or MS in related fields of application
Bonus points for
• CI/CD experience
• Working knowledge of Nginx and Passenger
• Front-end development experience