Muck Rack’s engineering team powers a platform that is meaningfully changing how journalists, PR pros, and marketers around the world work. Self-funded, globally distributed, and remote-first since our founding, Crain’s named Muck Rack one of the “Best Places to Work in NYC” in 2019. We’re looking for a collaborative and self-motivated Senior Software Engineer to join our small but quickly growing team, and make a big impact.
As a Senior Software Engineer you’ll work alongside the CTO, fellow software engineers, product managers, and designers, to execute major technical projects on Muck Rack, lead the building of new features, and help shape our engineering culture and processes. Our engineers are not siloed to any particular part of the application–everyone contributes everywhere. You should be excited about working with large amounts of data. Our tech stack includes Python, Django, Celery, MySQL, Elasticsearch, Vue, and Webpack. Our technology team is focused on scale, quality, delivery, and thoughtful customer experience. We ship frequently without sacrificing work/life balance.
If the details below describe you, you could be a great fit for this role:
- 3+ years professional experience as a software engineer
- Excellent communication skills, with an ability to explain your ideas clearly, give and receive feedback, and work well with team members
- Worked on a complex, high-traffic site at a startup or software-as-a-service company, ideally with large amounts of data
- Solid experience with Django, Python, MySQL (or Postgres) and other software in our tech stack, and a willingness to learn in areas where you have less experience
- Familiarity with modern frontend frameworks (like Vue or React) and development patterns
- Any experience running Elasticsearch at large scale would be a bonus
- Any combination of the following would also be a bonus: experience with Celery, Luigi or Airflow, Kafka, AWS, NLP, data model performance tuning, content extraction, application performance tuning
Take pride in the quality of your code. Your code is readable, testable, and understandable years later. You adhere to the Zen of Python
- Work well in a fast-paced development environment with testing, continuous integration and multiple daily deploys
- Ability to manage complexity in a large project, and incur technical debt only after considering the tradeoffs
- Have a logical approach to problem solving that combines analytical thinking and intuition
- Interest in journalism, news, media or social media
We encourage candidates of all backgrounds and experiences to apply. We understand job requirements often don't allow your particular work history to shine, and we invite you to show us what you know, and how it relates to our technology. We are an equal opportunity employer.